Page - The Sacred Hovel
On the slopes of Mount Subasio, just 2 km from Assisi, named after the stream that flows, is Rivotorto, village famous for the church of St. Mary. The sanctuary of the fifteenth century, was enlarged in the seventeenth century and the nineteenth century (following the 1854 earthquake, which destroyed almost completely) and is in the Gothic Revival style. The great church keeps inside the Sacred Hovel, who is said to have been one of the first “mansions” of St. Francis. On the façade, the coats of arms of St. Francis Basilica (from which depends the sanctuary) and above the door, the words “hic primordia Minorum Fratrum” (here the beginnings of Friars Minor), which recalls the tradition that the saint would prepared the first draft of the Rule. Inside there are the canvases of the painter Cesare Sermei Orvieto (seventeenth century). Next to the church is a convent with a large cloister.
THE SACRED HOVEL
The Sacred Hovel, for about three years (1208-1210), saw the first steps of a new and original form of community life which was inspired by the early apostolic community around Jesus. Only towards the 1210-1211 Francis and his companions , with time grown in number, they left him and moved to the church of the Portiuncula received in use by the Benedictines of Mount Subasio. The current form of the Hovel dates back to 1455 when Brother Francesco Saccardo obtained by the Vicar General of the Bishop of Assisi, it was built a chapel with an altar for the celebration of the Mass. Thus the shape and appearance of the primitive hovel underwent several transformations. Finally in 1926, the seventh centenary of the death of St. Francis, with a clever restoration work, the overlapping construction and secluded alterations were eliminated throughout the centuries, and the hovel was brought back to primitive simplicity.